- Bilgi güçtür
- Mümkün Olanın Geleceği
- Hibs ve Ross County taraftarları finalde
- Günün ipucu: Yine o adam
- Hibs ve Ross County taraftarları finalde
- Spieth eksik kesim tehlikesi altında
what is a dedicated server?
dedicated server is a dedicated web server for one client only. While many websites are hosted on the same server in Shared hosting, dedicated servers serve only one customer.
servers are one of the most important infrastructural components that enable the data stored in their bodies to be delivered to users online, and undoubtedly underlie internet service providers as well as information technologies.
Although they theoretically function the same as personal computers, they have more specific hardware and software features due to the work they perform. In this article, we will discuss the dedicated (non-shared, physical) servers from server types.
dedicated servers can be called “dedicated servers” with a direct Turkish translation. However, with the most appropriate and correct expression, we can say that they are (non-shared) servers.
Unlike other server types, in dedicated servers, all software and hardware resources are allocated to a single person or company without sharing. In this sense, when you have a dedicated server, all of the resources of this server such as ram, disk, processor, bandwidth are given only to you.
When your website is hosted on a shared server, unlike dedicated servers, as the traffic to your site increases, the load on the resources allocated to you will begin to increase.
As a result, your website, which needs high traffic and resources, will start to force the shared server you are on, and both your site and other sites sharing your server will slow down or even become inoperable due to the difficulty of the server’s capacity.
Similarly, even if your website does not receive traffic, your site may experience performance problems due to your neighbors with high traffic. Although shared servers are much more economical, they carry such risks.
At this point, the dedicated servers will allow you to have an infrastructure that is more suitable for the high resource needs of your project than shared servers and that you will not experience performance loss.
Advantages of dedicated servers
- You can gain high performance with hardware and software resource independence.
- If you need a complete server, you can have a more cost-effective server infrastructure as you will save on virtualization, storage and network costs compared to cloud servers.
- Since your servers resources will only be allocated for your use, you can choose the infrastructure features required for your project as you wish.
- Shared servers can provide users with a certain amount of traffic space, while dedicated servers can provide high-capacity traffic areas, so you can get more performance server service.
- If you do not transfer the server management to your service provider and do it yourself, you can gain advantages in data security and easily perform the software customizations you want.
Disadvantages of dedicated servers
- Since all services will run on the same server, all existing services are affected in server problems. In this sense, dedicated servers are weaker than cloud servers in terms of business continuity.
- It is not possible to increase resources quickly, and it is not preferred to reduce resources. When these processes are desired to be carried out, the servers must be down for a while.
- Although there have been significant improvements compared to the past in the issue of full image backup and recovery of the server in dedicated servers, there are still not as fast and efficient operations as in cloud servers.
Who should use a dedicated server?
Website owners with high rates of traffic that a large number of users want to connect to the server. Low-budget mobile applications in the form of startups, online game clients etc. software owners.
Users who feel that the available resources provided by shared server services are not sufficient for their website or application.
Dedicated server types
If you need to order the dedicated server types, it will be as follows:
Beginner level dedicated server
Compared to shared servers, they are the starting level dedicated (physical) servers that are preferred to achieve higher performance in cases where resources such as ram, disk, processor, bandwidth are higher, website traffic and resource needs increase. They are usually served as a single processor.
High performance dedicated server
It is a rental server service that is used as an upper level for websites with very high traffic, where the performance of the beginner level dedicated servers is insufficient, and is suitable for the application of virtualization technology as well as these features. Usually they are servers with dual processor and hardware raid card.
Bantwidth dedicated server
Live broadcast or video, mp3, etc. These are dedicated server services that offer high bandwidth ranges for websites hosting files in formats. High processing power is required, especially in processes where the video format is changed in the form of simultaneous transcoding.
E-Mail dedicated server
These are the servers used to deliver the e-mails transmitted from the sender and receiver from one server to another. E-mail dedicated servers can be used as Microsoft Exchange-type paid software or free POP3, IMAP supported e-mail servers.
Application dedicated server
Application developers can host web applications, make appropriate resource arrangements for these applications, and corporate users’ ERP, CRM, etc. These are the dedicated servers preferred for their solutions. In web technologies, php and .net application servers are among the most common examples.
Database dedicated server
MySQL, MS SQL etc. These are dedicated servers that offer high performance to users who work on databases, with configurations suitable for their work. Application servers are generally connected to these servers.
Server mirroring dedicated server
servers based on the principle of mirroring and copying data to two different servers that share the same configurations. When the data transfer process takes place, it is transferred to any of the servers, but the data is copied to the other server in a synchronized way.
There is a need for a fast network communication between servers. Synchronization between servers can be done with 3rd party software or as service-based operations. (Database replication etc.)